Monday, January 5, 2009

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!

Ryan and I wanted to start Traditions for our family and I already had quite a few with my family so we have added to them and come up with our own traditions for our Chrismas Eve and Christmas Day! We started by baking Jesus a birthday cake and making Christmas cookies the day before Christmas Eve so we can take them to share with all our families!

We get up on Christmas eve and head over to the Brownings. Hang out there and eat lunch and then head out to my grandma Jeffers for the Jeffers Christmas after Emma's nap. We then go caroling! This tradition started a few years back and has continued on. Some years it has been very painful as we have lost two family members of our own. Jae Lynn and Then Paw. This year as we were caroling I closed my eyes at the first house and envisioned their voices there with us still. Jae's Cute Warbly voice and Paws deep Baritone! It brought tears to my eyes but I have a feeling they were singing in heaven right along with us! This year we were able to carol some old neighbors of ours the Snows and it was wonderful to brighten their Christmas! We then head back to Mammaws house and eat nontraditional Christmas food. This year was Taco Salads Yummy!!!

After dinner we gather in the living room and read the Christmas story then open presents. It takes a while because the tradition there is to open one at a time and for everyone to see what you get. I love this way of opening but if you are new to it it can take some getting used to.

Ryan Emma and I head out first usually since we have the youngest and get home to put out our cookies and carrots and get in bed so Santa can come.

The next morning we wake bright and early! We are talking 6:00 am. and we see what Santa has brought us and open our presents and stockings. Then we started a new tradition one I hope that will carry on of cooking belgium Waffles ( thanks to the waffle maker my Mammaw Venable gave me) THen we play with gifts and get ready to head to our parents houses. Since we live so close we spit the day with each. This is such a blessing to be able to do this. In a few years we may try everyone coming ot our house as Emma gets older.

By the evening we are tired puppies and come back to our house to get in bed and rest because the next day we have new things to play with!

No comments: